Curvy figures are often considered the picturesque feminine ideal, but that doesn’t always mean it’s easy to find dance wear that fits. If you have a curvy body type, you should typically choose semi-fitted pieces that softly follow your curves, emphasize your waistline, and highlight your décolletage. We’ve outlined some quick tips and suggestions for finding flattering Latin and ballroom dresses below. If you’re looking specifically for plus size dance wear, scroll to the bottom of our blog for a few options, or visit the new Plus Size collection on our website.
Emphasize your waistline. Your waist should always be well-defined! A cinched-in middle never fails to flatter as it highlights your womanly figure. Wear a belt or choose pieces with details like beading or ruching at the waist. Avoid anything too fitted, though, including styles that cinch the waist too tightly.
- Latin Dresses
- Pra599 Leopard Print Latin Dress: The built-in belt and V-neckline are slimming for fuller figures. What’s more, this product is available in sizes up to 6XL!
- Pra483 Sleeveless Brown or Black Fringe Latin Dress: The built-in velvet belt, fringe detail, and alternating chevron hem will accentuate your figure and emphasize your waistline.
- D007 Short Ruched Sweetheart Latin Dress: The ruching detail at the waist of this short Latin dress will highlight your feminine figure.
- Ballroom Dresses
- Pra085 Pink, Black, and White Polka Dot Ballroom Dress: We love this cute pink satin belt and charming polka dot pattern!
- Pra052 Black, Silver, and White Floral Ballroom Dress: This dress is absolutely stunning and includes a floral bow belt. Plus, it’s available in sizes S-4XL!
- D008 Square Neck Ballroom Dress: This lovely practice dress by Dance America features a rhinestone belt detail and ruching that we love for fuller figures.
Don’t be afraid to show a little skin! A slit on the side of a dress can be sexy and slimming, while showing lots of leg offers a long, lean look. Highlighting your décolletage also looks sultry without being too provocative. Opt for lower necklines found in wrap, off-the-shoulder, or strapless styles.
- Latin Dresses
- Pra394 Latin Wrap Dress with Black and White Stripes: This practice dress has so many of our favorite features! Its V-neckline, high slit, and tie detail at the waist are so slimming.
- Pra360 Velvet Wrap Latin Dress: With its sleek velvet material, high slit, V-neckline, and faux wrap detail at the waist, this is another of our favorite dresses.
- Pra112 Latin Wrap Dress with Asymmetrical Skirt: This dress is more conservative than our first two suggestions, but we love the way the asymmetrical hem and ruching accentuate and slim the figure.
- Ballroom Dresses
- D006 Ruched Sweetheart Ballroom Dress: This long practice dress by Dance America has the sexiest slit, sweetheart neckline, and long mesh sleeves.
- Pra302 Single-Sleeve Ballroom Dress: This spicy red practice dress will add some flavor to your dance wear collection with its high slit and optional tie-shawl skirt.
- Pra051 Long Black Ballroom Dress: This sultry option will allow you to highlight your décolletage with its single off-the-shoulder ruffle sash sleeve.
Searching specifically for US sizes 14 and up? Visit our Plus Size collection. Here are just a few of our favorite items in this collection.
- Latin Dresses and Skirts
- Ballroom Dresses and Skirts
- Tops/Bodysuits and Pants
Have questions for us? Feel free to contact customer support by calling 816-439-6009. You can also email us through our Contact page.